Developer Area/Release Instructions
From Mahara Wiki
For the purposes of these instructions, assume we are releasing version X.Y.Z of Mahara.
Also see these pages for more instructions:
- 1 Pre-requisites:
- 2 1. Make sure your mahara-scripts checkout is up to date
- 3 2. Run the first part of the release script
- 4 3. Testing
- 5 4. Create the release on Launchpad
- 6 5. Sign and upload the tarballs
- 7 6. Update bugs on the tracker
- 8 7. Put the release notes on the wiki page
- 9 8. Quick announcements
- 10 9. Security advisories
- 11 10. Update the news at http://mahara.org/
- 12 11. Update the demo.mahara.org install (currently Catalyst hosted)
- 13 Subpages
- You must have a valid GPG key and you need to add it to Launchpad (see https://launchpad.net/~username/+editpgpkeys).
- You must have lp-upload-project (either ubuntu-dev-tools or lp-tools packages) configured to write public information on Launchpad on your behalf:
manage-credentials create -c ubuntu-dev-tools -l 2
1. Make sure your mahara-scripts checkout is up to date
You need to have an up-to-date version of the mahara-scripts repo in order to get the latest copy of the release script. That's the only repo you need to have since the release script will clone the gitorious repo all by itself.
2. Run the first part of the release script
Using the script you got in the previous step, run the first step of it like this:
./release.sh X.Y.Z X.Y_STABLE
This will create tarballs as well as a changelog and some release notes to paste into Launchpad. It will also spit out another script (release-X.Y.Z-cleanup.sh) to be run later.
Note that the repos that will be pushed back to gitorious are live in your /tmp. Do not reboot your machine in the middle of doing a release or you will have to run through the release script again.
Here is the testing that needs to be done using the tarballs you generated in the last step:
- install the Selenium firefox plugin if you don't already have it
- untar the release you want to test somewhere and make sure you can connect to it and login as admin
- check the right branch out (X.Y_STABLE for X.Y.Z)
- cd test/selenium/ && ./generate-testsuites.py
- in firefox: Tools | Selenium IDE
- in Selenium: File | Open Test Suite
- open test/selenium/TestSuite.html
- set the Base URL to where you can connect to that Mahara site
- drop the db and create a new blank one (the selenium tests start by running the install)
- hit the "play entire test suite" green "play" button.
The test suite should be run both on MySQL and Postgres. Then run these manual upgrade tests (no need to run the Selenium test suite):
- install a fresh X.Y.Z-1 site, then upgrade to Z.Y.Z on Postgres and quickly check that everything works (create a portfolio, a blog with a blog post, a group with a forum and a forum post)
- repeat that last step on MySQL
4. Create the release on Launchpad
Click on "create release" and give it today's date.
Leave "Keep the X.Y.Z milestone active." unchecked.
Paste in the release notes and the changelog that were generated for you by the release script. You can remove the "bump version number" commits from the changelog since they aren't very useful :)
5. Sign and upload the tarballs
Run the next part of the release script, i.e. the script that was spit out by the release script.
When prompted by lp-project-upload for release notes and a changelog, don't enter anything there since you've already put them on Launchpad in the last step. You will be prompted twice for each file upload (6 times in total).
6. Update bugs on the tracker
On Launchpad, click on all of the bugs targetted for that milestone and move them from "Fix committed" to "Fix released".
7. Put the release notes on the wiki page
This is just adding a link to the right page on Launchpad, we no longer have a duplicate copy of the release notes on the wiki.
8. Quick announcements
- Change the topic of #mahara
- Put a note on Twitter and Identica.
- Update freecode to report the new release
You may need to ask a previous release manager to get access to some of these accounts.
9. Security advisories
If this release includes security fixes, then publish the advisories on the security forum.
10. Update the news at http://mahara.org/
Posting in the news forum does this.
Include links to the security advisories and a link to the download page on Launchpad.
Now is a good time to notify translators about changed strings, if this is a stable release. I tend to do this with a forum post in the Translations forum.
11. Update the demo.mahara.org install (currently Catalyst hosted)
demo.mahara.org is in the client repository, on the demo-mahara-org branch.
git fetch origin git merge origin/1.0_STABLE dch -v 1.0.X~testing-1 (changelog: 1.0.X) make
Send it to the e-learning repo and install it.