Proposals/Done/HTML5 media player
From Mahara Wiki
This feature will replace the current flash player in Mahara by an open source HTML5 media player.
A comparison of HTML5 players
Criteria to choose
- Open source - is it a GPLv3 or compatible?
- Easy to use - is it easy to use it, does it have an intuitive interface to control?
- Accessibility - does it support keyboard control, subtitles, multiple language?
- Multiple mobile platforms support - does player also work on iOS and Android?
- Consistency among browsers, platforms - does player look the same in different browsers, handheld devices?
- Audio ready - can it play audio files?
- Multiple media support - can it play different media file types?
- Flash fallback - does it also work with old flash media?
- Documentation - can we easily integrate it into mahara?
- Plugins/extension support - can we use or develop community plugins easily?
- Streaming media support - can player handle RTMP, Apple HLS, Adobe HDS, Microsoft HSS? (bonus)
- Helpful community - how easily can we get help from its community? (bonus)
- Performance (bonus)