Developer Area/Specifications in Development/Portfolio Export Import
From Mahara Wiki
< Developer Area | Specifications in DevelopmentRevision as of 17:41, 19 July 2011 by Anitsirk (Created page with "Moving from one Mahara installation to another The Leap2A export option of Mahara allows users to export their portfolios in such a fashion that they can be imported into anothe…")
Moving from one Mahara installation to another
The Leap2A export option of Mahara allows users to export their portfolios in such a fashion that they can be imported into another Mahara instance of the same version or higher. If the exporting Mahara instance was customized, e.g. included plugins that are not available on the receiving Mahara, then that portfolio content cannot be displaye properly.
Improving the export and import of portfolios
Making the export and import of portfolios easier becomes more important as more users have Mahara experience and may wish to move their portfolios from one site to another. That also means that the portfolios contain data and can be large, e.g. 1 GB of file quota, if Mahara installations allow for large portfolios.
Issues that were identified with the current implementation
- Exporting large portfolios (> 100 MB) results in a large server load and the export process frequently times out.
- Importing large portfolios (> the allow maximum file upload) so far always needs a temporary adjustment on the server side.
- The time out needs to be set higher to avoid time outs during the export of large portfolios.
- Make the export of portfolios time delayed so that the load can be spread more evenly over the server and does not, for example, run while the site is in heavy use. A user could receive an email once his portfolio export file is available for download. Include a message that tells the user for how long the export file will be available before it will be deleted.
- The administrators should be allowed to upload Leap2A files that are larger than the allowed maximum file upload size for users to be able to import portfolios easily.
Sites with self-registration
- A user is allowed to create an account with a Leap2A file (upload of large Leap2A zip folders should be possible but limited to those to avoid uploading of larger than allowed files). Currently, during the upload process, the zip file is checked for whether it contains a Leap2A xml file. If that is not the case, the import is aborted.
Any Mahara site
- A user is allowed to merge an existing account with Leap2A imports, either partial (just a few pages / collections) or full ones.
- Files, plans, pages and collections are copied.
- The user is asked which profile information he wants to keep.
- The user is asked which résumé information he wants to keep if it can't be appended to the existing one, e.g. goals are now text boxes and there is only one each for academic, career, personal goals.
- An admin can merge a Leap2A file into an existing account. He is also asked which information to keep where necessary.
(encountered during manually merging of two accounts and uploading of files via a zip archive)
Not all file types are correctly identified after uploading a zip archive: https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/803229 (only related in so far as if user uploads a bunch of his files manually via a zip archive)