Proposals/Done/HTML5 media player
From Mahara Wiki
< Proposals | DoneRevision as of 17:43, 11 July 2020 by Anitsirk (Anitsirk moved page Developer Area/Specifications in Development/Done/HTML5 media player to Proposals/Done/HTML5 media player: Shorter navigation, not always technical)
This feature will replace the current flash player in Mahara by an open source HTML5 media player.
A comparison of HTML5 players
Criteria to choose
- Open source - is it a GPLv3 or compatible?
- Easy to use - is it easy to use it, does it have an intuitive interface to control?
- Accessibility - does it support keyboard control, subtitles, multiple language?
- Multiple mobile platforms support - does player also work on iOS and Android?
- Consistency among browsers, platforms - does player look the same in different browsers, handheld devices?
- Theme/skin - does it support theme/skin?
- Audio ready - can it play audio files?
- Multiple media support - can it play different media file types?
- Flash fallback - does it also work with old flash media?
- Documentation - can we easily integrate it into mahara?
- Plugins/extension support - can we use or develop community plugins easily?
- Streaming media support - can player handle RTMP, Apple HLS, Adobe HDS, Microsoft HSS? (bonus)
- Helpful community - how easily can we get help from its community? (bonus)
- Performance - size, load time, ...(bonus)
- Can the player display subtitles / transcripts (bonus)
HTML5 player options
Here is a list of HTML5 player options which support fully or partially the above features. We give 5 points for a full supported feature and 1 for non-supported. For bonus feature we only give 1 point if supported.
|Player||Open source||Easy to use||Accessibility||Mobile||Consistency||Theme/skin||Audio||Multiple media||Flash fallback||Documentation||Plugins||Streaming||Community||Performance||Total||Note|
|Flowplayer HTML5||GPL v3||5||5||5||5||4||1||5||5||5||1||1||1||0||43||Flowplayer logo|
|Video.JS||Apache 2||4||4||5||5||4||5||5||5||5||5||1||1||1||50||No extra JS library|
|Projekktor||GPL v3||5||4||4||5||5||5||5||4||5||5||4||1||0||52||Issues on iOS and Android|
|OSM player||MIT||5||4||3||4||4||4||5||4||3||4||4||0||0||44||Issues on iOS|
|LeanBack player||GPL v3||5||5||4||5||4||5||4||4||4||4||3||0||0||47||non-commercial usage|
|Kaltura player toolkit||AGPL v3||5||5||5||5||5||4||5||5||5||5||5||1||1||56|
- http://html5video.org/wiki/Player_Comparison - HTML5video.org comparison of players
- https://docs.moodle.org/dev/HTML5_player - HTML5 player in Moodle dev wiki.
- http://site.kaltura.com/rs/kaltura/images/Kaltura_Whitepaper_How_to_Select_the_Best_Video - How to Select the Best Video Player
We decided to implemnt VideoJS because it is the most accessible option out-of-the-box without the user needing to change settings and provides all the functionality we require.