From Mahara Wiki
This is a stable release of Mahara 1.1 Sonorus. Stable releases are fit for general use. If you find a bug, please report it to the tracker:
Please choose '1.1 stable branch' as the version of your bug.
This release includes an upgrade path from 1.0. If you wish to upgrade, we encourage you to make a copy of your 0.9 website and test the upgrade on it first, to minimise the effect of any potential unforseen problems.
Major points to note:
- You cannot upgrade to version 1.1 from a version before 1.0 - instead, upgrade to 1.0 first
- If you are using a custom theme, you should switch Mahara back to using the default theme for the upgrade process, just in case your theme is not compatible with the upgrade process or the new version of Mahara
- Once you have put the new code in place, you may need to do a hard reload in your browser (Ctrl+F5) to load any theme changes
- Some APIs, such as the blocktype API, have changed a bit since 1.0. Your custom plugins may need updating, you are encouraged (as always) to test before upgrading your live site
This release includes:
- View Templates (View Copying)
- You can now mark Views as able to be copied by other users who can see the View. This gives people the option of using a View as a starting point to create their own View.
- As a result of this, the Site Admins and Institutions have their own Files and Views sections, that they can use to create Views for others to copy
- Work funded thanks to Glasgow University/Howard Miller: http://www.gla.ac.uk
- Group Improvements
- Groups now have Files and Views, which can be collaboratively authored
- Navigation improvements
- Group owner is replaced by having one or more Group Admins
- Artefacts no longer have to be owned by people, now Groups, Institutions or the Site can own artefacts
- Groups can be made publicly viewable, including the forums. Users can be automatically subscribed to forums when they join groups
- Work funded thanks to GLISI/Ray Merrill: http://www.galeaders.org, http://ralphmerrill.com
- Import API
- Mahara now has an API to import content from external systems. Currently Moodle 2.0 can use it to send Moodle content to Mahara via their "Portfolio API" - http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Portfolio_API
- Work funded thanks to Moodle HQ: http://moodle.com
- Profile Views
- Users' profile pages are now Views, which allows them to re-arrange the layout of their page.
- New blocktypes are provided to help users show their information - My Views, My Groups, My Friends and Wall (which allows other people to leave comments for users)
- Minor improvements in these areas
- Performance (less queries/page, less files included)
- Executing /usr/bin/file is no longer necessary to determine file type, which makes it easier to run Mahara on shared hosting and other OSes like Windows
- Access to Views from people not in the system can be arranged by generating cryptic URLs on the View Access page
- Upgrades to included libraries: HTMLPurifier, Smarty
- E-mails from forums are now threaded in e-mail clients that support this
- Addition of BBCode to the system to provide simple formatting options in places where the HTML editor is impractical
- Addition of a "Register your Mahara" feature to help us get a picture of what Mahara installations there are around the world
As mentioned before, when upgrading from 1.0, please attempt it on a copy of your site first, to test that you will enjoy a trouble-free upgrade.