This is a stable release of Mahara 1.1 Sonorus. Stable releases are fit for general use. If you find a bug, please report it to the tracker:
Please choose '1.1 stable branch' as the version of your bug.
This release includes an upgrade path from 1.0. If you wish to upgrade, we encourage you to make a copy of your 1.0 website and test the upgrade on it first, to minimise the effect of any potential unforseen problems.
Changes from 1.1.1:
- Fixed multiple XSS vulnerabilities in user profile data and blogs (CVE-2009-0660)
- Several minor fixes to portfolio import, html validation, default theme and the upgrade path from 1.0
- Added support for embedding slideshare widgets
Major points to note:
- You cannot upgrade from a version before 1.0 - instead, upgrade to 1.0 first
- Once you have put the new code in place, you may need to do a hard reload in your browser (Ctrl+F5) to load any theme changes
- Some APIs, such as the blocktype API, have changed a bit since 1.0. Your custom plugins may need updating, you are encouraged (as always) to test before upgrading your live site
This release includes:
- View Templates (View Copying)
- You can now mark Views as able to be copied by other users who can see the View. This gives people the option of using a View as a starting point to create their own View.
- As a result of this, the Site Admins and Institutions have their own Files and Views sections, that they can use to create Views for others to copy
- Work funded thanks to Glasgow University/Howard Miller: http://www.gla.ac.uk/
- Group Improvements
- Groups now have Files and Views, which can be collaboratively authored
- Navigation improvements
- Group owner is replaced by having one or more Group Admins
- Artefacts no longer have to be owned by people, now Groups, Institutions or the Site can own artefacts
- Groups can be made publicly viewable, including the forums. Users can be automatically subscribed to forums when they join groups
- Work funded thanks to GLISI/Ray Merrill: http://www.galeaders.org/, http://ralphmerrill.com/
- Import API
- Mahara now has an API to import content from external systems. Currently Moodle 2.0 can use it to send Moodle content to Mahara via their "Portfolio API" - http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Portfolio_API
- Work funded thanks to Moodle HQ: http://moodle.com/
- Profile Views
- Users' profile pages are now Views, which allows them to re-arrange the layout of their page.
- New blocktypes are provided to help users show their information - My Views, My Groups, My Friends and Wall (which allows other people to leave comments for users)
- Minor improvements in these areas
- Performance (less queries/page, less files included)
- Executing /usr/bin/file is no longer necessary to determine file type, which makes it easier to run Mahara on shared hosting and other OSes like Windows
- Access to Views from people not in the system can be arranged by generating cryptic URLs on the View Access page
- Upgrades to included libraries: HTMLPurifier, Smarty
- E-mails from forums are now threaded in e-mail clients that support this
- Addition of BBCode to the system to provide simple formatting options in places where the HTML editor is impractical
- Addition of a "Register your Mahara" feature to help us get a picture of what Mahara installations there are around the world
As mentioned before, when upgrading from 1.0, please attempt it on a copy of your site first, to test that you will enjoy a trouble-free upgrade.