Proposals/Done/Look and Feel
From Mahara Wiki
< Proposals | Done(Redirected from Developer Area/Specifications in Development/Done/Look and Feel)
Over time, Mahara has changed compared to what was proposed here and has taken a lot of the proposals into consideration.. This information is kept for historical purposes.
Originally proposed for Mahara 1.4
A strong emphasis on good practice web design of the UI – i.e. page layout of functional elements, typefaces, colours used, buttons both in size and relative positioning, consistency of terminology and behaviours of buttons and menus.
- Different colours for different functions. E.g. Green for the core action, light grey for the lesser action.
- Button size and layout. E.g. www.bluemetals.net/ i.e. more appealing designs. See sites like www.ning.com, www.weebly.com and www.xero.com for good examples.
- Use of quality icons, more legible and distinguishable
- New site themes – theme selector for User
- Well designed View themes / borders
- Edit text instructions
- Increase spacing between lines and things like the Help button
- Update and ensure consistency of error messages and their behaviour in different browsers
- Consistency of hyperlink colours
- Simplified navigation at both 1st and 2nd level.
- Settings, Login goes up to the top nav – e.g. Facebook, Linkedin etc.
- Dashboard is the Dashboard View or My Page. This is current behaviour in version 1.3 but should be renamed to Dashboard. Xero accounting software uses a similar approach. Home is the front page of the system before logging in.
- A Teacher’s Dashboard provides a tagcloud of Views in their My Groups, indicators of recent activities etc. This should enhance overall management of their students.
- Journal (blogs) becomes a top-level menu item