Developer Area/Release Instructions
From Mahara Wiki
For the purposes of these instructions, assume we are releasing version X.Y.Z of Mahara.
Also see these pages for more instructions:
- 1 Pre-requisites:
- 2 1. Make sure your mahara-scripts checkout is up to date
- 3 2. Run the first part of the release script
- 4 3. Testing
- 5 4. Create the release on Launchpad
- 6 5. Sign and upload the tarballs
- 7 6. Update bugs on the tracker
- 8 7. Put the release notes on the wiki page
- 9 8. Language packs
- 10 9. Security advisories
- 11 10. Update the news at http://mahara.org/
- 12 11. Quick announcements
- 13 12. Update the demo.mahara.org install (currently Catalyst hosted)
- 14 13. Close the Y.M.0 milestone on Launchpad
- 15 Subpages
- You must have a valid GPG key and you need to add it to Launchpad (see https://launchpad.net/~username/+editpgpkeys).
- You must have lp-upload-project installed:
apt-get install lptools
- Configure lptools to write public information on Launchpad on your behalf:
manage-credentials create -c ubuntu-dev-tools -l 2
(Note: This won't work for Ubuntus after Maverick, as manage-credentials appears to have gone away. You will need to install lptools to proceed with the script usage.)
1. Make sure your mahara-scripts checkout is up to date
You need to have an up-to-date version of the mahara-scripts repo in order to get the latest copy of the release script. That's the only repo you need to have since the release script will clone the gitorious repo all by itself.
2. Run the first part of the release script
Make sure that any security reviews/patches are merged before proceeding. THESE PATCHES ARE MARKED STATUS: Draft. If you do not have the ability to see the security patches - ask someone on the security team to merge them for you.
Using the script you got in the previous step, run the first step of it like this:
./release.sh X.Y.Z X.Y_STABLE
This will create tarballs as well as a changelog and some release notes to paste into Launchpad. It will also spit out another script (release-X.Y.Z-cleanup.sh) to be run later.
Note that the repos that will be pushed back to gitorious are live in your /tmp. Do not reboot your machine in the middle of doing a release or you will have to run through the release script again.
Here is the testing that needs to be done using the tarballs you generated in the last step:
- install the Selenium firefox plugin if you don't already have it
- untar the tar that release.sh generated somewhere and make sure you can connect to it and login as admin
- in a mahara repository, check the right branch out (X.Y_STABLE for X.Y.Z)
- in that repository, cd test/selenium/ && ./generate-testsuites.py
- in firefox: Tools | Selenium IDE
- in Selenium: File | Open Test Suite
- open test/selenium/TestSuite.html
- set the Base URL to where you can connect to that Mahara site
- drop the db and create a new blank one (the selenium tests start by running the install)
- hit the "play entire test suite" green "play" button
Note: Avoid using firefox while selenium runs, it steals tabs and gets confused. Note: Firebug can also confuse selenium, so it's best to turn it off while running the suite.
The test suite should be run both on MySQL and Postgres. Then run these manual upgrade tests (no need to run the Selenium test suite):
- install a fresh X.Y.Z-1 site, then upgrade to Z.Y.Z on Postgres and quickly check that everything works (create a portfolio, a blog with a blog post, a group with a forum and a forum post)
- repeat that last step on MySQL
4. Create the release on Launchpad
Click on "create release" and give it today's date.
Leave "Keep the X.Y.Z milestone active." unchecked.
Paste in the release notes and the changelog that were generated for you by the release script. You can remove the "bump version number" commits from the changelog since they aren't very useful :)
5. Sign and upload the tarballs
Run the next part of the release script, i.e. the script that was spit out by the release script.
You will be prompted for enter release notes and a changelog. This will happen once for each archive file that is being uploaded, so you'll see six prompts total. Any data you enter here will go into the Launchpad release page. So, you can either enter it here, or leave it empty here and enter it directly into the Launchpad webpage.
6. Update bugs on the tracker
On Launchpad, click on all of the bugs targetted for that milestone and move them from "Fix committed" to "Fix released".
Now is also a good time to create the next release number in the series. Any remaining bugs that were not fixed for this release may be transferred to the next one, if they're still on the roadmap but were simply delayed.
7. Put the release notes on the wiki page
This is just adding a link to the right page on Launchpad, we no longer have a duplicate copy of the release notes on the wiki.
8. Language packs
Create a new translation branch on launchpad.net and update the language scripts for the new release so that they appear on http://langpacks.mahara.org
9. Security advisories
If this release includes security fixes, then publish the advisories on the security forum.
10. Update the news at http://mahara.org/
Posting in the news forum does this.
Include links to the security advisories and a link to the download page on Launchpad.
Now is a good time to notify translators about changed strings, if this is a stable release. I tend to do this with a forum post in the Translations forum.
11. Quick announcements
- Create a topic in the Mahara news forum (and security forum if it's a security release) - see below for more information.
- Change the topic of #mahara and include a link to forum topic on #mahara-dev
- Put a note on:
You may need to ask a previous release manager to get access to some of these accounts.
12. Update the demo.mahara.org install (currently Catalyst hosted)
demo.mahara.org is deployed using Catalyst's standard internal hosting deployment scripts. Also update the installed language packs. As a guideline, language packs that are 90% or more translated should be installed.
13. Close the Y.M.0 milestone on Launchpad
Once the release is done, please close the milestone for the .0 release and create the one for the .1 release if it doesn't already exist so that bugs are targeted correctly.