Community resources/User Group Meetings/MUG 20150724
From Mahara Wiki
The Mahara User Group meeting on 24 July 2015 takes place at Teachers College, Columbia University between 10 a.m. and 12 p.m. and will be followed by an optional lunch.
- Welcome and Introductions first (Beth Gordon and George Schuessler)
- Mahara Support. Developing intern ePortfolios (George Schuessler)
- ePortfolio work in Switzerland (Nathalie Roth)
- Future of Mahara (Kristina Hoeppner)
- Collaboration with other SUNY campuses. (Keith Landa)
- ePortfolio for faculty promotion and tenure (Beth Gordon)
- Workflow: suggestions for Mahara improvements
- Open Forum
418 Zankel Building
Come to Broadway and 120th Street (there is a subway stop for # 1 train at 116th Street and Broadway), proceed along 120th Street east and halfway down the block is the main entrance to Teachers College with stairs leading up to large entrance doors (also there is an accessibility ramp at this entrance). Proceed in to that entrance checking in at the security desk. Go straight across the hallway after the security desk through a door to an elevator. Take the elevator up to the fourth floor. After leaving the elevator go through door into hallway and turn right. Take another right into the next hallway. Room 418 will be on your left.
Directions to TC:
Teachers College is located on the Upper West Side of Manhattan on 120th Street between Broadway and Amsterdam Avenue and is accessible by various modes of transportation.
Grand Central Terminal, which is located at East 42nd Street and Park Avenue, is the New York City terminus for two commuter trains, MetroNorth and Conrail, as well as some Amtrak trains from Canada and Upstate New York.
Penn Station, at West 34th Street and Seventh Avenue, is the New York City terminus for all other Amtrak service and the Long Island Railroad, New Jersey Transit, and the New Jersey PATH train commuter lines.
The Henry Hudson Parkway (West Side Highway) in New York City runs parallel to the Hudson River and offers convenient access to Teachers College. The highway can be reached from most of the main routes entering New York City. The nearest major highway link to it is Interstate Highway 95 (I-95).
Whether driving north or south on the Henry Hudson Parkway/West Side Highway, exit at 95th Street. At the first traffic light, turn north (left) onto Riverside Drive; at 120th Street turn east (right) and go two blocks east to the College.
The main entrance is located midway between Broadway and Amsterdam Avenue, on the north side of West 120th Street.
While West 120th Street offers metered parking on both sides of the street, parking on New York City streets in the Columbia University area is limited. Nearby off-street parking facilities include (Please call garages directly for current prices and reservations):
- Morningside Garage, 3100 Broadway (at 123rd Street), (212) 864-9877
- E & B Operating Corp., 137 West 108th Street (between Amsterdam and Columbus Avenues), (212) 865-8315
- Park Yorkshire Garage, 151 West 108th Street (between Amsterdam and Columbus Avenues), (212) 865-2314
- Upper Westside Parking Garage, 234 West 108th Street (between Amsterdam Avenue and Broadway), (212) 222-8800
- Riverside Church Garage, 120th Street (between Riverside Drive and Claremont Avenue), (212) 870-6736
- Evening parking is available at Riverside Church (call (212) 866-1000
The subway station serving Teachers College is the 116th Street stop of the IRT Broadway-Seventh Avenue local. The No. 1 subway train (red line) are local trains serving this station.
Be sure that you are on (or transfer to) the local line at the 96th Street Station. The express line (No. 2 or No. 3 trains) does not serve Columbia University.
There are subway entrances at Penn Station and the Port Authority Bus Terminal. From Grand Central Station, the Shuttle (S) goes to "Times Square" 42nd Street, offering access to the No. 1 IRT Broadway Local trains going uptown.
Bus transportation into New York City from neighboring states and communities usually terminates at Port Authority Bus Terminal, at West 42nd Street and Eighth Avenue. Within New York City, four bus routes include a stop at West 120th Street and Broadway (Teachers College):
- M4 (available from both Grand Central Station and Penn Station),
- M5, M11, and the M104 (available from the Port Authority Bus Terminal).
The fare required is exact change in coins, Metropolitan Transit Authority token or Metro card.